Monday 27 February 2012

dr seuss and the art of being un-bored

If only lectures were like this
When I'm not reading books about green knights that say things like 'bi bonnken', or books about people who don't have phones (that's the 18th century for you!), or books about rampaging Macedonians, I'm absorbing college life. And by absorbing I mean sleeping on the couch to the backdrop of Sky News.

All that aside, in my dozy states I've developed a sort of passion for Dr Seuss. First of all,  I'm a girl who understands the meaning of boredom. Well, I like to think I do. Seriously, after an hour in a lecture where the only word you understood was 'neutrally', boredom doesn't even come into it. Boredom is a dodgy pub that you passed 40 miles ago, and you're on the way to becoming an Actual Dead Person, killed by the boredom of your own degree.

Anyway. That has little to do with the supposed topic of this blog post, Mr Dr Seuss. Here is a man who made worlds that were so un-boring it was impossible to be, well, bored. Fluffy trees with fluffier creatures hanging out of them, trying to sleep. Foxes wearing soxes. Jungles of Nool. Landscapes that curved and held no straight lines. Boredom didn't come into it.


And when it did come into it... then the Cat in the Hat came around for tea and left pink cake stains in the bath and balanced on tricycles. Dr Seuss eliminated the Boredom Factor from a number of Life Situations. See below. If you're ever bored of your life, I've got a remedy for you - something that has worked for me when I've seen that Olympics report one too many times...

The Boredom Fixer with Dr Seuss
Bored of...
Breakfast? Read Green Eggs and Ham
Insomia? Read Dr Seuss' Sleep Book
Casual discrimination? Read The Sneetches
Graduating without a job? Read Oh! The Places You'll Go
Rainy Sundays? Read The Cat in the Hat
Rainy Mondays? Read The Cat in the Hat Comes Back

I'm not into book reviews. Just read the rhymes, like the fuzzy pictures. Trust me. It's better than news on a loop, going for a walk, doing work, or planning an excursion to the countryside.

Bon Read and Bon (non)Bore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...